This practical training program in clinical Orthodontics has been designed to achieve the following four objectives:
- I) Knowledge of
- The dynamic interaction of biologic processes and mechanical forces acting on the stomatognathic system during orthodontic treatment.
- The etiology, diagnosis and treatment planning of various sagittal, vertical and transverse problems.
- Various treatment modalities in Orthodontics – early treatment, adolescent treatment ( extraction Vs non-extraction mechanics), adult orthodontics, interdisciplinary treatment, etc.
- Factors affecting the long-term stability of orthodontic correction and their management.
- II) Skills
- To obtain proper clinical history, methodical examination of the patient, perform essential diagnostic procedures, and interpret them and arrive at a reasonable diagnosis about the dentofacial problems.
- To be competent to fabricate and manage the most appropriate orthodontic appliances – intra or extra oral, removable or fixed, mechanical or functional, and active or passive – for the treatment of any orthodontic problem to be treated singly or as a part of multidisciplinary treatment of dentofacial deformities.
- Develop an attitude to adopt ethical principles in all aspects of Orthodontic practice.
- Professional honesty and integrity are to be fostered.
- Willingness to share the knowledge and clinical experience with professional colleagues.
- Willingness to adopt, after a critical assessment, new methods and techniques of orthodontic management developed from time to time, based on scientific research, which are in the best interest of the patient.
- Develop an attitude to seek opinion from allied medical and dental specialists as and when required.
- IV) Communication skills
- Develop adequate communication skills, particularly with the patients, giving them the various options available to manage a particular dentofacial problem, and to obtain a true informed consent from them for the most appropriate treatment available at that point of time.
- Develop the ability to communicate with professional colleagues, in Orthodontics or other specialties through various media like correspondence, Internet, email, conference, etc. to render the best possible treatment.